These low carb, grain-free bagels are the dream for anyone following a keto or gluten-free lifestyle. This 'fathead dough' (what a name, right?) is made with almond flour, and is chewy and delicious.
1 1/2 cup almond flour (ground almonds work great)
1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
2 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (either pre-shredded or hard mozzarella, not the soft "fresh" stuff)
2 oz cream cheese (usually 1/4 tub Philadelphia)
2 large eggs
Sesame seeds or cinnamon for topping (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Stir together the almond flour and baking powder, and set aside.
3. Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl, and microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated. Ps. If you don't want to use a microwave, heat the cheeses in a double boiler on the hob over a low heat until completely melted and well mixed.
4. Stir the flour mixture and eggs into the melted cheese mixture. Working quickly while the cheese is still hot, knead with your hands until a dough forms. It will be very sticky, but keep kneading and squeezing through your fingers for a few minutes.
5. Divide the dough evenly into 6 parts. With your hands, roll each part into a long log, then press the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. If using sesame seeds or cinnamon, sprinkle over the bagels and gently press into the dough.
6. Bake for 10-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden. ENJOY!
Get 10% off
And join the thousands of people staying in the loop with our monthly newsletter.